Apply for a special event or street party permit

Events that block or occupy a city road, sidewalk or boulevard require a permit.

Permit requirements

There are two types of permits. Review the permit types before you submit your application.

A street party that involves closing a residential road for less than 10 hours requires a permit.

To get a street party permit, email the following information to four weeks before the event:

  • Applicant’s contact name, address and phone number
  • Date of event, including the start and finish time
  • Petition of support signed by at least 80% of residents who live within the closure area

Once we’ve received and approved your information, we’ll email you a confirmation letter with next steps, which includes:

  • Purchasing liability insurance through the City
  • Signing a Road Occupancy Permit and General Terms and Conditions form
  • Collecting your free road closure barricades

An event, such as a parade, that involves closing City roads, sidewalks and boulevards requires a permit.

To get a special events permit email the following information to 12 weeks before the event:

How to submit your application

Email all your completed forms and required documents to

If you need help completing your application, email


Check Schedule B 1 Transportation and Works of the User Fees and Charges By-law to find out how much your permit might cost.

Payment types

You can pay refundable fees by certified cheque or bank draft.

If no other securities are required, non-refundable fees can be paid by:

  • Certified cheque
  • Money order
  • Visa
  • American Express
  • Mastercard

Only one form of payment will be accepted per transaction. Certified cheques and money orders must be made payable to City of Mississauga.