Fixed Location Businesses

Business Licensing at the City of Mississauga

The Business Licensing By-law requires that certain fixed business locations be licensed in order to operate in the City of Mississauga. An operating licence must be renewed annually. Refer to Licence Expiry Dates. Find out what category your business falls under and what responsibilities you have as an owner in the business licensing requirements chart.

To apply for a Fixed Location Business Licence, some of the documents that may be required include but are not limited to:  

  • A completed Business Licence Application form. The application must be completed by an individual owner, a partner, the president or an authorized agent.
  • A copy of your business registration papers.
  • A copy of your Zoning Certificate of Occupancy (for fixed location businesses). For detailed information on how to apply for a Zoning Certificate of Occupancy go to the Forms Centre. For the Application for Certificate of Occupancy access the application form here.
  • A criminal record search from Police Services. Click here to determine if your business requires a criminal record search. If so, read the Direction Sheet for a Criminal Record Search.
  • Inspection of your location may be needed by Police, Fire, Planning and Building and/or the Region of Peel Public Health Department. Find out if your particular licence requires any approvals
  • Payment of your licence fees will be required at the time of application.

The following fixed location businesses in the table below require an operating licence.

Business Type Applicable By-law
  • Adult Bookstore
  • Adult Entertainment Business
  • Adult Videotape Class "A"
  • Adult Videotape Class "B"
  • Body Rub Business Owner
Adult Entertainment
Establishing Licensing
  • Amusement Arcade Class "A" & "B"
  • Auto Service Station Class "A" & "B"
  • Auto Service Class "C", "D" & "E"
  • Billiard Parlour Class "A" & "B"
  • Breeding or Boarding Kennel
  • Clothing Donation Drop Box
  • Fireworks Sales*
  • Night Club
  • Parking Lot
  • Pawnbroker
  • Personal Services Setting
  • Pet Shop
  • Public Hall
  • Restaurant
  • Retail Food Premise
  • Salvage Yard
  • Second Hand Goods Shop
  • Tobacco Sales
  • Vehicle Pound Facility - Moratorium currently in place. No new licence will be issued
Business Licensing
  • Lodging House
Residential Rental
Accommodation Licensing
  • Medical Marihuana Production Facility
Medical Marihuana
  • Methadone Clinic/Pharmacy
Methadone Licensing

*The sale of fireworks requires a business licence application, a fire inspection and a letter signed by the Fire Chief. More information about these requirements can be found here.

Contact Information

  • Customer Service: Call 3-1-1 (905-615-4311 outside City limits) Monday-Friday 7 a.m.-7 p.m.