Skip to content

COVID-19: Follow public health measures during the stay-at-home order

Short-term accommodation licence

Council has approved a new by-law that will go into effect on January 19, 2021. According to this by-law, anyone operating a short-term accommodation in the City will need to get a business licence.

Licensing a short-term accommodation will enhance consumer protection by enabling the City to enforce standards for noise, garbage and parking.

The new by-law will apply to anyone renting out all or part of their home for 30 consecutive days or less.

Current operators will need to obtain a licence in spring 2021. New operators as of January 19, 2021 will need to obtain a licence before they can begin operating a short-term accommodation.

Principal residence

If you are operating a short-term accommodation, you can only rent from your principal residence (the location where you live for the majority of the year). This must be the address that you use for bills, taxes and insurance.

Licence requirements

To apply for a short-term accommodation licence, you will need to provide:

  • Proof you are at least 18 years of age, such as a birth certificate, driver’s licence or passport
  • Evidence that the rental is in your principal residence. This could be a driver’s licence, recent utility bill or tax form.
  • Contact information for the person responsible for the short-term accommodation

You will also need to post your City-issued licence number in all print or online advertisements.

Current and new operators will be able to obtain their licence online starting in spring 2021.

Licence fee

You will need to pay an annual licensing fee of $250.

Contact us

If you have any questions about short-term accommodation licensing, call 311 (905-615-4311 outside City limits) or email