About the Community Benefits Charge
The CBC is a new fee that will help the City pay for the capital costs of high-density development.
Currently development charges are the City’s primary revenue tool for funding growth. This new charge will help ease the financial pressure that high-density development places on our infrastructure.
This charge will apply to the construction or redevelopment of buildings with 5 or more storeys and 10 or more residential units.
The charge is based on the value of the development land the day before the building permit is issued. Property developers must pay this charge before receiving a building permit.
In 2019 and 2020, Bills 108, the More Homes, More Choice Act, and 197 the Covid-19 Economic Recovery Act, rewrote Section 37 of the Planning Act. These legislative changes enable municipalities to collect community benefits charges.
Before collecting these charges, the City must pass a Council-approved by-law that’s supported by a strategy. The final 2022 CBC Strategy and By-law are available are available.
The draft Community Benefits Charge Strategy was presented at a Statutory Public Meeting on April 6, 2022 for feedback and comments. The corporate report is available below. The draft 2022 CBC By-law was made available on May 16, 2022.
The draft Strategy and By-law, with minor technical amendments, were presented for General Committee consideration on June 15, 2022. The corporate report is available below and includes the amended information. Council approved the amended Strategy and By-law on June 22, 2022. The corporate report is available below.
The following corporate reports are related to the Community Benefits Charge By-law Review:
- Council, June 22, 2022: Item 17.2 2022 Community Benefits Charges By-law and Item GC 0411-2022 Community Benefits Charges Recommendations
- General Committee, June 15, 2022: Item 10.3 2022 DC Background Study & CBC Strategy and Associated By-laws
- Statutory Public Meeting, April 6, 2022: Item 11.1 2022 Development Charges and Community Benefits Charges Public Meeting
- General Committee, November 17, 2021: Item 10.2 – Community Benefits Charge Strategy Project Update
- Budget Committee, June 21, 2021: Item 7.1 – 2022 Development Charges Background Study and Community Benefits Charge Update
- General Committee, March 31, 2021: Item 9.3 – Mississauga’s Population and Employment Forecasts for the Development Charges and Community Benefits Charge By-law Review and Item 9.4 – Development Charges Background Study and Community Benefits Charge Strategy Project Update
View the following presentations from the stakeholder consultation meetings: