Before you apply for a building permit, you can have your proposed project reviewed to make sure it complies with the City’s Zoning By-law.
A preliminary zoning application review is for information purposes only. It does not constitute a formal approval. City staff will still review your building permit application if one is needed.
How to apply
Submit your application online through the ePlans portal using the “building permit” request type. In the “description of work” field, enter “Preliminary Zoning Review Only – [Scope of Work]”.
For more information please check ePlans help and support.
Required drawings and documents
You’ll need to upload the following drawings and documents as part of your request.
All measurements must be in metric. The site plan must include the following:
- Property lines (dimensioned)
- Outline of existing building(s) and other structures, all labelled
- Outline of proposed work shown hatched and labelled
- Overall dimensions of existing and proposed structures
- Setbacks from property lines to proposed addition
- Site statistics
- Interior and exterior dimensions
- Existing and proposed work labelled or otherwise identified
- All rooms labelled indicating the use
- Dimension of eave overhang
- Location of openings (windows and doors)
- Height dimensions
Letter of use
- Outlining the project scope and proposed use in detail
The application will cost $413.10. You can pay this fee within ePlans.
A $20 fee will be collected when you submit your request online. The balance will be collected once your request passes prescreening.
If you need more information, please call 311 (905-615-4311 outside City limits).