When a building permit is required

Most renovation, construction or demolition projects require a building permit. Below is a list of common projects that do and do not require a permit.

You will need to meet zoning regulations even if your project doesn’t require a building permit.

A permit is required prior to building, demolishing or installing any of the following:

  • Addition to an existing building
  • Backflow preventer
    • Backflow prevention devices are required under the authority of the Region of Peel’s Backflow Prevention By-law 10-2017 and the Ontario Building Code. The purpose of this by-law is to prevent backflow into the Region’s Municipal Drinking Water System to maintain clean and safe drinking water. For more information on the By-law and the Backflow Prevention Program, please visit the Region of Peel website.
  • Balcony – either constructing one on a house, apartment or condo, or replacing or repairing guards on an apartment or condo
  • Basement including:
    • Finishing a basement to create rooms or living space
    • Basement apartment (also known as second unit)
    • Excavating to increase existing headroom
  • Below grade entrance or basement walkout
  • Building or structure (other than a shed) greater than 10 square metres, or any size that contains plumbing
  • Change the use of a building
  • Communication or transmission tower or antenna greater than 16.6 metres high above ground level
  • Deck greater than 0.61 metres (2 feet) high
  • Detached garage
  • Doors – either adding a new door or increasing the size of an existing one
  • Dormers
  • Dust collector
  • Fire alarm system
  • Fire damage repair
  • Fire suppression system
  • Furnace replacement that’s of a higher efficiency than existing
  • Furnace ducts being altered
  • Garage
  • Gas fireplace used for heating
  • Gazebo greater than 10 square metres
  • Generator connected to life safety equipment like fire alarms or emergency lighting
  • Geothermal system
  • Heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system
  • Interior alterations
  • Kitchen exhaust
  • Loading dock
  • Maglocks
  • Mezzanine
  • Parking structure, like a multi-level parking lot
  • Patio for a restaurant
  • Plumbing fixture like a sink, tub, toilet, or shower that’s added, removed or relocated
  • Plumbing drainage – install, replace or repair
  • Porch that’s covered
  • Private sewage system – install, replace or repair
  • Re-cladding a building with new material, for example changing siding to brick
  • Roof extensions or alterations to increase the height or change the slope
  • Rooftop HVAC replacements
  • Satellite dish attached to a building, or a dish with an area equal to or greater than 5 square metres
  • Shed greater than 15 square metres or any size that contains plumbing
  • Second unit, also called a basement apartment
  • Sewer systems – install, repair or replace
  • Shoring and excavation
  • Site servicing
  • Skylights
  • Solar panels
  • Spray booths
  • Sprinklers
  • Sump pump on a property in the Foundation Drainage Collection (FDC) System area
  • Temporary tents greater than 60 square metres
  • Underpinning foundation walls
  • Weeping tile repairs or changes on a property in the Foundation Drainage Collection (FDC) System area
  • Windows – either new or increasing the size of an existing window
  • Wood burning fireplace
  • Cabinetry or cupboards
  • Concrete pad
  • Damp-proof a basement
  • Deck less than 600 mm (2 feet) in height
  • Decorations
  • Doors – replacing an existing one with the same size
  • Driveway – either widening or resurfacing
  • Eavestrough, if the drainage is contained within the property
  • Fence
  • Fireplace that’s decorative gas
  • Gazebo that’s 10 square metres or less
  • Landscaping work
  • Minor masonry repairs
  • Painting
  • Parking lots without catch basins that are new, expansions, or painting new lines
  • Plumbing fixture replacement in the same location, for example a sink, tub, toilet, or shower
  • Re-cladding a building with the same material, for example siding to siding, or brick to brick
  • Re-shingling a roof
  • Retaining wall less than one metre high
  • Shed less than 15 square metres, one-storey tall, free-standing, doesn’t contain plumbing and used for storage only
  • Windows – replacing an existing one with the same size

Why is a permit required

You need a permit to make sure your project complies with the requirements in the Ontario Building Code, the Mississauga Zoning By-law and any other approvals you may need.

Visit the Ontario Building Officials Association website to learn why the building code matters.

Contact us

If you need more information, call 311 (905-615-4311) or contact us online.