Land division

There are several different ways to divide land, but the most common way is through a consent application. This is also referred to as “lot severance” or “land division”.

You can make a consent application through the Committee of Adjustment.

In order to divide a lot or piece of property, each piece of land must comply with regulations in the Zoning By-law. The most common regulations are the lot area and frontage.

Minimum lot area and frontage

Check the zoning regulations for your property using the find property information tool to determine the minimum lot area and frontage.

Consent application conditions

After your consent application has been approved by the Committee of Adjustment, you may need to obtain a zoning letter regarding the proposed lot area and frontage(s). Learn more about how to request a zoning letter.

Contact us

If you need more information, please call 311 (905-615-4311 outside City limits).


The information presented on this web page is provided for information purposes only. It should not be solely relied on when making decisions related to real estate transactions, development proposals or building permits.

We strongly advise you review the text in the official Zoning By-law and/or speak with City staff before making important decisions.