Noise exemptions

If you’re planning an activity or event that’s going to create a lot of noise during a certain timeframe, you can apply for an exemption to the Noise Control By-law in advance. We must receive your application a minimum of eight weeks before your event date.

Exemptions for special events

You’ll need to apply for an exemption if your event will include a live band, music or amplified sound from:

  • Monday to Saturday earlier than 7 a.m. or later than 5 p.m.
  • Sunday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

If your event is for a community charity or organization, please contact your Community Liaison Officer.

Exemptions for construction

If you are a construction company and wish to operate construction equipment outside of regular hours from Monday to Saturday earlier than 7 a.m. or later than 7 p.m. you’ll need to apply for an exemption.

Construction noise is prohibited all day Sundays and on statutory holidays.

Apply for a noise exemption

Complete the Noise Exemption Application and pay the fee of $269.44 (including HST) by cheque or money order, payable to the City of Mississauga. Submit your application and fee by mail to:

Compliance and Licensing Enforcement
300 City Centre Drive, ground floor
Mississauga ON L5B 3C1

You can also book an appointment to submit your application in person at the Compliance and Licensing Enforcement Office. You must have an appointment to visit the office.

Notify local residents

Once we receive your application, we’ll create and send you a notice to let local residents know about your exemption. You’ll need to distribute this notice to all residents to property owners within a 500 metre radius from the event location. We’ll also send you a map of the specific area.

We’ll let you know how to distribute the notice by either:

  • Mailing it through Canada post
  • Hand delivering it door to door
  • Publishing it in a newspaper for two consecutive days in the ten days proceeding your event

City staff will do random checks to confirm that the notice has been circulated.

Local residents will then have two weeks to contact the City to voice their concerns, objections or comments about the event.

What happens next

We’ll review the feedback from residents with your local Councillor to decide whether to grant your exemption. If your exemption is granted, we’ll send you a letter outlining what’s been approved.