Skip to content

Dispute a by-law violation ticket

Screening and hearing appointments scheduled between April 6 through to and including September 11, 2020 are being adjourned. Your attendance at your appointment is not required at this time. A new screening or hearing appointment will be sent to you by mail, to the address on file with the office.

Dispute a ticket (penalty notice) that has a number beginning with the letters ‘A’‘V’ or ‘B’.

These tickets are related to by-law violations involving animals and pets, or business licencing including mobile businesses.

If you believe you’ve received a ticket in error, have special circumstances or are unable to pay your ticket, you can dispute it online or in person with a Screening Officer.

You have 15 days from the date you received your ticket to dispute it online, or request an in-person dispute.

To dispute your ticket, complete the online form and tell us:

  • Why you think the ticket should be cancelled or varied
  • Why any fees should be cancelled or varied
  • Why you need more time to pay the ticket or review the ticket

Once you’ve completed the form we’ll send you an email with next steps, including information on providing supporting evidence like photos or documents.

Dispute ticket online

There are two ways to dispute a ticket in person, by booking an appointment online or coming to the Ontario Court of Justice.

If you request your appointment online, we’ll confirm your appointment date within five days via email. You can also check the progress of your request online.

Check request status Dispute ticket in person


If you’re coming to the court to schedule an appointment, complete the Screening Request Form and bring it to the Ontario Court of Justice, Provincial Offences Office at 950 Burnhamthorpe Road West, Mississauga, Monday to Friday: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Extension reviews

If due to special circumstances you’ve missed the 15-day deadline to dispute your ticket, you have an additional 30 days to request an extension review. Extension review requests must be made in person at the Ontario Court of Justice.

If granted, a Screening Officer will see you the same day. Any decisions made at extension reviews are final.