Traffic monitoring and reporting

Speed monitoring and traffic calming help to manage speed and traffic congestion on City streets.

Neighbourhood Speed Watch Program

If you’re concerned about speeding or aggressive driving on a residential street, you can request a radar message board unit from the City be temporarily set up on your street. A radar message board measures the speed of an approaching vehicle and displays the speed next to a speed limit sign.

For more information about this program please contact 311 (905-615-4311 outside City limits).

Road Watch Program

If you see dangerous or aggressive driving on a City road, such as a driver running a red light or making an unsafe lane change at a high speed, you can make a report online to Peel Regional Police.

Traffic monitoring

Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) traffic cameras are used to monitor congestion and respond to incidents or emergencies. All cameras on City roads are monitored by staff at the Traffic Management Centre. Cameras installed on highways are owned and monitored by the Ontario Ministry of Transportation.

The City’s traffic monitoring cameras collect anonymous information on a transitory basis and do not intend to collect or store any personal information or identifiable vehicle data.

These cameras are different from the cameras used to enforce speed limits as part of Automated Speed Enforcement.

If you have any questions about traffic monitoring, call 905-615-3200 ext. 3964.

Traffic calming

Traffic calming uses physical devices or design features of roads such as speed humps or raised pedestrian crossings to help reduce excessive traffic speeds.

Implementing traffic calming on City roads is an extensive process that involves evaluation and consultation with stakeholders before construction can begin.

If you have any questions about traffic calming please call 311 (905-615-4311 outside City limits).