3rd Edition - Revised December 2, 2015
The 2015 Facility Accessibility Design Standards (formerly the Mississauga Accessibility Design Handbook) is the result of the collaborative effort among community and professional experts working with City staff and Members of Council.
- changes to the Ontario Building Code 2012 (including 2015 accessibility updates);
- the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act's (AODA) Accessibility Standards for the Design of Public Spaces (O. Reg. 413/12);
- larger dimensional requirements for wheelchairs and scooters;
- requirements related to sensory disability (i.e. vision and hearing loss); and
- sections on therapeutic pools, spray pads, wayfinding and information systems.
These standards assist our employees to incorporate accessibility criteria into their project designs before they are built furthering the goals in the City's Accessibility Plan to make Mississauga a "universally designed accessible community".
These standards are updated regularly and are the property of the City of Mississauga.