COVID-19: latest updates on the City's response and service impacts

Reducing Waste

The Region of Peel has several programs for residents to reduce and properly manage waste including the Blue Box and Green Bin programs and the Municipal Hazardous and Special Waste Program available through the Region's Community Recycling Centres.

45% of Mississauga's waste was diverted from landfill in 2013.

Waste is diverted from landfill using various techniques such as recycling Blue Box materials and producing high quality finished compost from sorted household organics.

The Region of Peel has a new target of diverting 75% of its waste from landfill by 2034 through its 3Rs programs (reduce, reuse and recycle). The Region is currently developing actions to achieve the target and to recover additional resources from the remaining 25% of its waste.

Source: Region of Peel and City of Mississauga

Managing Waste

The Region of Peel provides waste management services to residents of Mississauga. The Region is responsible for the collection, processing and disposal of Blue Box materials, household organics, leaf and yard waste, hazardous and special waste, and garbage. The City of Mississauga has programs in place to reduce waste and to collect recyclables within City facilities and parks.

  • The Region of Peel is implementing bi-weekly garbage collection in January 2016 as part of its plan to achieve 75% waste diversion from landfill.
  • Since November 2014, the City of Mississauga provides single-use battery collection bins in all community centres and libraries to make it easy for residents to dispose of their used single-use batteries. Within four months, over 1000 kilograms of batteries were collected for recycling, about the same weight of a Toyota Yaris!
  • The City of Mississauga collects Blue Box materials for recycling at all facilities including the Civic Centre, community centres, libraries, arenas and parks. The City also has programs in place to recycle shredded paper, library books and fluorescent bulbs.

Resources/Further Reading