News release

Tying the Knot in Mississauga? Here’s What You Need to Know

City services | August 14, 2019

Mississauga is home to many species of birds, which is great for birdwatching. Did you know that Mississauga is also home to many types of lovebirds? At any time of the year, they can be seen flocking to one of the City’s many available venues for their wedding celebration.

The City of Mississauga makes it easy for couples to plan and host their wedding – from getting a marriage licence to booking a venue for the big day.

Marriage licence

As with any marriage in Ontario, an Ontario Marriage Licence is required. Couples can apply to the City for a licence by completing an application form online and then receive their licence by visiting the City Clerk’s Office located on the 2nd floor of the Civic Centre (300 City Centre, Dr.). For more information about requirements and licence fees, visit

Once you have a marriage licence, then what? It’s time to look at options for your wedding ceremony and/or reception.

Civil ceremonies

For a simple and low-cost option for your ceremony, couples can book a Civil Marriage Ceremony. Civil ceremonies (non-religious) are provided by the City Clerk’s Office and held in the Civic Centre Chapel or the Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Garden outside the Civic Centre. Ceremonies are offered Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. (last ceremony starts at 3:30 p.m.).

To book a civil marriage ceremony, you’ll need to provide the following documentation:

  • a valid Ontario Marriage Licence number

  • date of purchase

  • the place it was purchased

Learn more about civil ceremonies 

Photo permits

There are plenty of iconic landmarks and scenic views around Mississauga, making it the perfect backdrop for romantic wedding or engagement photos. Everything from looking your best, adjusting outfits and posing with family or friends can be time consuming. Mississauga offers 90-minute blocks with every photography permit, allowing your photographer time to create magical memories. A permit is required if you’re interested in photographing or filming within City facilities, such as arenas, community centres, parks, museums or City Hall.

Apply for a photography permit


If you’re looking to hold a wedding reception, the City has many facilities that support any budget, number of guests and amenity requirements (e.g., kitchen, bar, stage, projector screen, etc.).

For full-service offerings, the following banquet facilities offer onsite wedding ceremonies, customized menu and bar options, complimentary parking and audio visual, along with an onsite coordinator to make sure your event runs smoothly. For those looking for a catered experience, there are full-service venues available for booking including BraeBen Golf Course, LIVE Restaurant, C Banquets and Harding Waterfront Estate.

Inquire about one of the banquets for your special day.

For more budget-friendly or intimate options, try one of the many community centres, museums or historic halls which offer room rentals. Or for a more historic feel, the Small Arms Inspection Building – provides a unique open-concept industrial space. These facilities allow you to provide your own catering and décor (depending on the location, tables and chairs are set up by the facility and clean-up is done by City staff).

Use the City’s new online room finder to find a facility that’s right for you.

Visit or call 905-615-4100 for more information about planning your special day.


Media contact

City of Mississauga Media Relations 905-615-3200, ext. 5232 TTY: 905-896-5151