Motor vehicle sales and repair

There are several different uses defined in the Zoning By-law related to the sale, rental and repair of motor vehicles.

The use depends on the type of:

  • Vehicle (commercial or non-commercial)
  • Repair work (mechanical or body repairs)
  • Sale (wholesale, retail, or rental)

Check the full list of motor vehicle uses in section 1.2 of the Zoning By-law.

To determine what uses are permitted in specific areas, look up the permitted property uses using the Zoning By-law.

Opening a new business

If you’re planning to open a business, you must get a Zoning Certificate of Occupancy.

OMVIC Motor Vehicle Dealers License

Before you apply for your Ontario Motor Vehicle Industry Council (OMVIC) dealer’s license to sell or distribute motor vehicles, you must provide proof that your business is permitted.

Wholesale motor vehicle sales

If you’re business is the wholesale of motor vehicles conducted out of an office, you must request a zoning clearance letter from the City. This does not apply to retail motor vehicle sales. You’ll need this letter when you apply for your OMVIC dealer’s license.

Learn more about how to request a zoning letter.

Retail motor vehicle sales

When you apply for your OMVIC dealer’s license for retail motor vehicle sales, you’ll need to get a Zoning Certificate of Occupancy and a Public Garage – Type B business licence.

Get the zoning certificate first. You’ll need it to apply for your business licence.

Learn more about fixed location business licences.

Contact us

If you need more information, please call 311 (905-615-4311 outside City limits).


The information presented on this web page is provided for information purposes only. It should not be solely relied on when making decisions related to real estate transactions, development proposals or building permits.

We strongly advise you review the text in the official Zoning By-law and/or speak with City staff before making important decisions.