Request to injure or remove trees

You are not allowed to injure, prune or remove public trees on City property. If you must injure, remove or do construction work near public trees, you’ll need a permit. These details are outlined in the Public Tree Protection By-law.

If you must remove trees on private property, you need to comply with the Private Tree Protection By-law. You need a permit to remove trees on your private property if you’re removing one or more trees 15 cm (6 inches) or greater in diameter, including dead or dying trees.

Both by-laws help preserve, protect and enhance the urban canopy as trees improve soil and water conservation, store carbon, provide shade, regulate temperature extremes and increase wildlife habitat.

Apply for a tree permit

If you need a tree permit, complete the tree permit application form and provide any supporting documents or drawings that are required, such as locations of the trees, an arborist report and a replanting plan. Arborist Reports are not required for dead trees.

When reviewing a tree permit application, the City takes into consideration many factors. Some of the most common criteria include but aren’t limited to:

  • Reason for removing the tree
  • Condition, species and location of the tree
  • Does the tree(s) conflict with a development application?
  • Is the tree causing damage to a property that can’t be mitigated through proper arboricultural practices?
  • The existing canopy cover on the subject lot

We recommend that you consult with a certified arborist to ensure your trees are healthy and safe.

Tree permit cost

A permit and non-refundable base permit fee is required if you are:

  • Removing one or more trees on private property that are 15 cm (6 inches) or greater
  • Proposing to injure or remove a tree on City property due to construction

There is no base fee or additional fees required if you are applying to remove trees that are dead, dying or hazardous.

You must submit the non-refundable base permit fee of $333.47 plus HST with your application. After your application is reviewed, the fee to remove each additional healthy tree that is 15 cm (6 inches) or greater or public tree is $116.55 plus HST.

Submit your application

You can mail your application form, supporting documents, and fees to:

Parks and Forestry Division
PO Box 1850, Station B
Mississauga ON L4Y 3W6

The Parks and Forestry Customer Service Counter at 950 Burnhamthorpe Road West is currently closed. You can submit your application through the dropbox located directly in front of the building, near the delivery area.

If a certified arborist has signed off on the application for an Ash or dead tree removal on private property, you have the option to submit your tree permit application by email to A photograph of the Ash or dead tree is required.

How long it takes

The City has 30 business days to review your complete application from the date it’s received.

Replacement trees

If you’re removing one or more trees 15 cm (6 inches) or greater on your property or proposing to remove a tree on City property, replacement trees are required for each tree removed.

A tree replacement security deposit is required to make sure that replacement trees are planted on private property. The amount will be determined by the City. If there’s no space for replacement trees on private property, you must pay to plant replacement trees on City property. The replacement tree fee for public trees will be determined by the City.

The requirements for replacement tree planting are:

  • A shade-bearing tree (preferably of a native variety) that’s at least 1.8 m tall, if it’s a coniferous (evergreen) tree, or at least 6 cm in diameter if it’s a deciduous (leaves) tree.
  • One replacement tree is required for every 15 cm (6 inches) diameter of the private or public tree removed. For example, when a tree 45 cm (18 inches) diameter is removed, three replacement trees are required.

Ornamental trees and shrubs, including but not limited to Japanese Maples, Cedars and Junipers, are not suitable replacements.

If the replacement tree on private property is healthy one year after being planted, your deposit will be refunded.

Deposit refunds

To get your deposit refunded, call 311 (or 905-615-4311 from outside City limits) one year after you’ve planted the replacement trees. We’ll schedule an inspection of the new trees before refunding your deposit.