COVID-19: Latest news and information

Erosion and sediment control permit

You must get a permit before undertaking any activities that will disturb the land, such as excavation for construction. Any land disturbed by a construction project must be returned to the same (or better) condition after construction is complete.

The permit helps ensure that construction work is completed according to the Erosion and Sediment Control By-law. The by-law helps to prevent sediments resulting from land disturbance from impacting the City’s storm drainage network.

If you need to remove trees as part of your construction work, you may need to apply for a tree removal permit.

Site dewatering

Site dewatering techniques control sedimentation of water accumulated on your construction site. If water needs to be removed from your site before it absorbs into the ground, it should be pumped into a holding tank. The water should be deposited into a City or Region approved sanitary manhole.

Documents you need

You will need to submit:

  • A completed Erosion and Sediment Control Permit Application
  • A copy of the Erosion and Sediment Control plan
  • Conservation Authority approval, if applicable
  • A copy of any pre-requisite approvals such as Tree Injury Questionnaire or Tree Permit Application, confirmation of well decommissioning

How to apply

Email your completed application and supporting documents to

Fees and security deposits

After you submit your application, staff will confirm the fee amounts and any security deposits that will apply to your work site.

You can pay your application fees at the customer service counter located at 3185 Mavis Road. Our office is open Monday to Friday, from 8:30 to 4 p.m.

Contact us

For more information, please email or call 311 (905-615-4311 outside City limits).