Know your rights
Tow trucks that offer themselves for hire to the public must follow the City’s Tow Truck Licensing By-law. The by-law sets out requirements for the equipment being carried on a tow truck, the behaviour of drivers at the scene of an accident and the rates they may charge for towing a passenger vehicle.
At the scene of an accident:
- You have the right to choose which tow truck provider you use
- You have the right to choose where you want your vehicle towed to, unless told otherwise by emergency personnel on scene. Tow truck drivers are not emergency personnel.
- The only document you should sign is the Permission to Tow a Vehicle form. This form does not commit you to having any work done on your vehicle other than having it towed.
- Tow truck drivers are required to accept multiple forms of payment, including cash, debit and credit
- The tow truck driver must provide you with an itemized bill of services before demanding payment
- The cost of a collision-related tow for a passenger vehicle is $400 plus HST or $750 plus HST if the trip requires a stop at a Collision Reporting Centre
- Additional fees can only be applied for towing outside of Mississauga
What to do at the scene of a collision
You should discuss what measures should be taken in the event of a collision with anyone who will be driving your vehicle.
- Take photos of any damage
- Read the Permission to Tow a Vehicle form before you sign. Don’t sign anything you haven’t read or don’t understand.
- Look for the City of Mississauga licence plate in the rear window of the tow truck
- Record all names and licence plate numbers
- Keep track of dates, times and locations
- Take your personal belongings with you
- Know beforehand which tow truck company you will use to tow your vehicle
The information above can be found in the Traffic Collision Towing Guide, or can be picked up from the Mobile Licensing office located at 3235 Mavis Road. Our office is open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m..
For more information, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 311 (905-615-4311 outside City limits).