Apply for an Official Plan amendment, Zoning By-law amendment or plan of subdivision

If you want to propose changes to the Mississauga Official Plan, the Zoning By-law, or create a subdivision you need to submit an application to the City.

If you applied for an amendment or plan of subdivision before April 12, 2021, use our development application tool to check the progress of your application.

All development applications must be submitted online through ePlans.

Online application process

1. Create account and submit pre-application meeting request

Start by creating an ePlans account. Then log into ePlans and follow the steps to submit your pre-application meeting request, which includes uploading your drawings and documents.

You should submit the following drawings and documents with your pre-application meeting request for Official Plan amendment, rezoning and subdivision:

  1. Site plan, including the following:
    • Building footprint and dimensions (existing and proposed)
    • Building setbacks from all lot lines (existing and proposed)
    • Site statistics (e.g lot area, existing and proposed gross floor area, parking required and provided etc.)
    • Landscaped areas/buffers and dimensions
    • Site access, driveway location, parking areas and dimensions
  1. Elevation drawings with height dimensions (i.e floor-to-floor and overall building height)
  2. Floor plans, survey plan and images of the property and surrounding area, if available
  3. A cover letter which includes the applicant and property owner name, brief description of the proposal and who will be attending the meeting

Drawings and documents should be saved in the correct view orientation.

File names for all drawings should include the first letter of the discipline name, such as ‘A’ for architectural, followed by the three digit sheet number and drawing type. For example, ‘A100 Site Plan’.

Each drawing plan sheet should be an individual file.

Make sure to use the ‘Complete – Notify the City of Mississauga’ button to submit your request.

Once we receive your pre-application meeting request, we’ll review the drawings and documents you’ve submitted, tell you what additional information is required, or any changes that should be made.

If everything is correct, we’ll schedule a meeting with you and the Development Application Review Committee (DARC). At this meeting we will provide you with comments and feedback on your proposal along with information on all the plans, studies and documentation that you need to submit with your application.

All feedback will also be available for you to view in ePlans.

2. Submit an application request

When you’re ready to submit your Official Plan amendment, Zoning By-law amendment or plan of subdivision application, log into ePlans and follow the steps to create an application request and pay the administration fee.

Shortly after submitting your application request, you’ll receive an email that includes your temporary project number and an invitation to upload the required drawings and documents.

3. Prescreen review

After you upload the drawings and documents, we’ll do a prescreen review to ensure the requirements are met. This usually takes three to five business days.

If we still need more information, we’ll email you. All prescreen corrections will need to be made by you in order to move ahead with the application process.

4. Pay fees

After the prescreen review, you’ll receive a “fee payment task” email with instructions on how to pay your fees.

Once you’ve paid the fees, your application will be created and we’ll email you an application number.

5. Department and agency review

Your application will be reviewed by the relevant City departments and agencies to make sure it meets all the requirements. You can view all of the comments in your “Project Status Report” in ePlans.

Resubmit revised or more information

If any of the review groups have withheld your application you will need to resubmit revised or additional information. We’ll send you an “applicant resubmit” email telling you what to do next.

6. Information report and public meeting

City staff will then compile an information report on your application and present it to the Planning and Development Committee, as part of a statutory public meeting. You may also be requested to provide a brief presentation to the committee.

7. Recommendation report and public meeting

All outstanding issues with your application must be addressed before City staff produces a final recommendation report. This report will also be presented to the Planning and Development Committee during a public meeting.

8. Your application is approved or refused

Official Plan or Zoning By-law amendments

The Planning and Development Committee makes a decision to approve or refuse your application.

If your application is refused you may be able to appeal.

If your application is approved, the by-laws containing your Official Plan amendment and Zoning By-law amendment will be approved by Council at a later scheduled date.

Draft plan of subdivision

The Planning and Development Committee makes a decision to recommend that the Commissioner of Planning and Building approve or refuse your application.

If your application is refused you may be able to appeal.

If you receive draft approval, you’ll need to work with the City to meet the required conditions, and enter into a subdivision agreement. Once that’s complete, the subdivision can be registered with the Land Registry Office.

Contact us

If you have any questions about the process please call 311 (905-615-4311 outside City limits) or email

You can also contact your reviewers directly if you have questions about their comments. The phone number and email address for each reviewer is located on the first page of the “workflow – project status report” in ePlans.