How to get involved in the city planning process

Community engagement is a big part of city planning. In general, there are two types of initiatives you can get involved in:

  • City-led policies and studies: The City’s planning team regularly works on studies and policies that guide how and where future building and development should happen.
  • Development applications: Applicants like developers, business owners or landowners initiate city planning projects by submitting a development application that the City reviews and approves or refuses.

Your input is an important part of the process.

Why you should get involved

Consultation is a critical part of the planning process in Ontario because planning affects everyone. It helps us determine where and how you’ll live, shop, gather, work and go to school. Changes made to the City’s Official Plan and Zoning By-law can impact the height and density of new developments.

Because planning impacts what we see and the types of spaces we enjoy in our city, the planning process provides opportunities for public input. Under the Ontario government’s Planning Act, we’re required to notify the public, hold public meetings and gather input on important planning decisions to reflect the vision and values of our community.

When you can get involved

The City leads a wide variety of community engagement activities to make sure residents have a chance to get involved. These include surveys, in-person and virtual meetings, open houses, workshops, focus groups, interactive online engagement tools and other special events. In city-led studies, there are a number of stakeholders involved.

Current projects: visit our Have Your Say website to learn more about the engagement projects underway at the City. You can also sign up to get regular updates.

When a new project is proposed, the City works with applicants to provide direction on how building and development should happen. The City reviews and ultimately approves or refuses proposals to rezone or develop land. It’s important to note that every land owner has a right to make an application under the Planning Act to change land use permissions through this process.

Current development applications: visit our active development applications page to review all current development applications by ward. Contact the planner listed for each application to learn more about how to get involved.

Residents planning to use, develop or make changes to their property (like building an addition) which don’t meet the existing Zoning By-law requirements, can apply to the Committee of Adjustment to make changes (referred to as minor variances). The Committee of Adjustment meetings are open to the public.

Ways to get involved

There are a few different ways you can give the City feedback about a development proposal in your neighbourhood:

You may have seen a sign about a new development in your area, received a public notice in the mail, read an article or saw a social media post about a new project you’re interested in. If you have questions or want to get more information on that project you can:

A City of Mississauga sign in front of a property that says "Notice: a change has been proposed for these lands". Includes details about the development application, owner, applicant, site address, file number and contact information. Also includes a map of the location and photo of the applicant's rendering.
Example of what a sign could look like when there’s a new development in your area.
An example of a Planning and Development Committee public meeting notice with the address, location of proposal, photo of applicant's rendering, applicant's proposal, meeting date, time, place and other details on how to participate in the meeting.
Example of a public meeting notice you would receive in the mail when there’s a new development in your area.
  • Your Ward Councillor might hold a community meeting in your neighbourhood. These meetings allow your Councillor and the applicant to hear any concerns from you or other residents.
  • During a community meeting, you can get more information about the development proposal, make comments and ask questions.
  • The Planning and Development Committee will hear a presentation from the applicant and receive an information report from staff about the development proposal. This is the official public meeting that’s required by the Planning Act.
  • This public meeting is held in Council Chambers at Mississauga City Hall. You can view a livestream of meetings while they’re in session.
  • A notice with the details about this meeting is mailed to neighbours within 120 metres (400 feet) of the property being developed. A notice is also posted in the local newspaper.
  • No decisions about the development proposal are made at this meeting. It’s a place for residents and Councillors to ask questions and comment on the development proposal.

If you aren’t able to attend the meeting, you can submit your comments in writing for the committee to consider. Send your comments by email to or send them to:

Mississauga City Council
Attn: Development Assistant
c/o Planning and Building Department – 6th Floor
300 City Centre Drive
Mississauga, ON L5B 3C1

  • All comments from residents and Councillors are recorded.
  • A recommendation report is prepared by a city planner that addresses comments from the public in a recommendation report presented at a future Planning and Development Committee meeting.