Business Licence Application Requirements
The City of Mississauga requires certain businesses to be licensed to operate in accordance with the Business Licensing By-law, the Adult Entertainment By-law, the Residential Rental Accommodation By-law the Medical Marihuana Licensing By-law and the Methadone Licensing By-law.
A business licence application is required for each new business starting up, or for existing businesses that have had a change of name, owner, location or type of business category. An operating licence must be renewed annually. Refer to Licence Expiry Dates for more information.
Find out what category your business falls under and what responsibilities you have as an owner in the Business Licensing Requirements Chart. This chart also provides links to schedules provided under the various business licensing by-laws. Trades Business and Mobile Businesses have different requirements.
Certain businesses may require different types of approvals before the licence can be issued. Learn more about where to obtain approvals/permits here.
Some requirements may include, but are not limited to:
- A completed Business Licence Application form. The application must be completed by an individual owner, a partner, the president or an authorized agent.
- A copy of your business registration papers.
- A copy of your Zoning Certificate of Occupancy (for fixed locations). To obtain detailed information on how to apply for a Zoning Certificate of Occupancy go to the Forms Centre. For a copy of the Application for Certificate of Occupancy click here.
- Determine if you are required to submit a criminal record check from Police Services here. If so, read the Direction Sheet for a Criminal Record Search.
- Inspections of your location may be needed by Police, Fire, Planning and Building and/or Region of Peel Public Health Department. Find out if your particular licence requires any approvals.
- Payment of your licence fees will be required at the time of application.
- Customer Service: Call 311 (905-615-4311 outside City limits) Monday-Friday 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.