Meadowvale Theatre is being renovated. The project will address the aging state of municipal infrastructure, including deferred maintenance, lifecycle upgrades, and improving accessibility and energy efficiency. The renovation will expand access, create broader performing arts opportunities and provide new revenue options for the Theatre.
- Opening up the lobby with the removal of the curved staircase and relocation of the concession will enhance functionality and programming flexibility. Intermission will have improved circulation and the spacious and inviting lobby will have the ability to host diversified events including weddings, galas, guest speakers and exhibitions.
- The Rehearsal Hall will become an improved multipurpose space that can be separated from the rest of the theatre and with its own waiting area and washrooms. With the ability to be a meeting room, rehearsal space, recording studio or small performance space, this bookable room will invite new clients to Meadowvale Theatre and provide the community greater access to this arts space
- The Box Office will be relocated to facilitate optimal circulation flow and alleviate long line ups.
- A new entrance design with a shared exterior plaza space and enhancements to the exterior patio along Battleford Road will distinguish the building as an arts venue making it easier to find and providing outdoor spaces to connect with neighbours and friends.
- Patrons will enjoy easier access to and within Meadowvale Theatre including an improved accessible car drop off, the addition of a universal and barrier free washroom and an accessible Box Office and Concession
- Users will have an improved backstage experience with a more flexible dressing room storage system, an additional entrance/exit door to the green room and direct access from the rehearsal hall to the main stage
- Meadowvale Theatre is a valued cultural hub in the Northwest of the City and provides additional benefits to local hotels/businesses due to its tourism potential (multi-day conferences/competitions) and is located in an underserved area
- With the ability to host activity in multiple spaces simultaneously, provide access to increased and diversified events, offer a curated art gallery/exhibit space and program educational workshops and performances, Meadowvale Theatre will become an important Cultural Hub; nurturing and developing creative talent to the highest level and addressing lack of appropriate space in the City
Construction is scheduled to begin in May 2021.
Meadowvale Theatre will close to the public on May 21, 2021. This will enable the renovation to be completed as quickly as possible and ensure the safety of our patrons and staff during construction.
Meadowvale Theatre will begin taking bookings in fall 2021 for events taking place fall 2022. Please check the Meadowvale Theatre website for booking details.
Other City of Mississauga Culture facilities remain open and available to book while Meadowvale Theatre is closed. Contact them directly for more information:
The Theatre will reopen in summer 2022
There are no planned road closures during construction.
The total project cost is $6.6 million dollars.
The funds for the renovation project were approved by Council and allocated in previous budgets. There will be no negative impact on the property tax for the 2021 or future City budgets.