Section 357 of the Municipal Act, 2001, S.O. 2001, c. 25 provides authority
for City Council to accept applications for cancellation, reduction or refund of taxes under
certain conditions, which include:
- if a property could not be used for its normal use due to repairs or renovation for a
period of at least three months during the year;
- if the use of a non-residential property has changed since the return of the last
- if a property has been granted exempt status after return of the assessment roll;
- if there has been a fire or demolition of a building, or a "gross and manifest
error" in the assessment;
- if the ratepayer has experienced sickness or extreme poverty they may apply to have their
appeal heard by the Assessment Review Board.
If you qualify for a cancellation, reduction or refund of your taxes based on the above,
please notify the Mississauga Tax Office in writing no later than February 28, 2013 for the
2012 tax year.
Your written letter of appeal should include your name, telephone number, municipal address
and roll number of the property. Provide the details of your appeal along with copies of any
pertinent documents that substantiate your appeal. A fee of $10.00 for each year being appealed
should accompany your written letter of appeal pursuant to the General Fees and Charges By-law
Send your written request for adjustment to:
- Mississauga Taxes, 300 City Centre Drive, Mississauga, ON L5B 3C1;
- via fax to 905-615-3532; or
- e-mail at email@example.com (please include
the tax roll number/address on the subject line of your e-mail); or
- delivered to the City of Mississauga, Mississauga Tax Office, 300 City Centre Drive,
Mississauga, ON L5B 3C1.
For further information, please contact the Customer Service Centre at 3-1-1, or if
calling outside the City limits call 905-615-4311, or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.