Unpaid taxes

If you don’t pay your property taxes for three years, the City may take action, which includes registering a Tax Arrears Certificate and advertising your property for sale.

Tax Arrears Certificate

When your property taxes are not paid for three years prior to January 1 of any year, the City of Mississauga may register a Tax Arrears Certificate against your property under Section 371 of the Municipal Act, 2001.

Your property can then be advertised to be sold by the City if the property taxes owed are not paid within one year of registering for the Tax Arrears Certificate.

A Tax Arrears Certificate indicates that the property will be sold if all the tax arrears, interest, penalties, costs and future instalments (together referred to as Cancellation Price), incurred by the City are not paid within one year of the registration of the certificate.

Once a certificate has been registered, the City cannot accept partial payments unless the owner has entered in an extension agreement with the City before the expiry of the one-year period.

Sale of a property due to unpaid taxes

The City may advertise the sale of the property because of unpaid taxes. Generally, advertisements are published in Mississauga News for four weeks and Ontario Gazette for one week. Tender packages are also made available online or at the City, for a fee.

These sales are not typical real estate transactions. If you’re considering taking part in a sale, you should seek independent legal advice from a lawyer licensed to practice in Ontario, and in good standing with the Law Society of Upper Canada.

There are currently no properties for sale.