Low income seniors (65+ years) or low income persons with disabilities who own and live in their own home for at least one year and meet the following criteria can apply for a tax rebate on their annual property tax.
Every owner of the property must be receiving benefits under the Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) Program, or the Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) or must be the spouse of an owner receiving the GIS or ODSP benefit.
- If a husband and wife own the property, either one must be receiving GIS or ODSP
- If a husband and wife own the property with a sibling, the sibling and either the husband or wife must be receiving GIS or ODSP
- If two siblings own the property, both siblings must be receiving the GIS or ODSP
If you qualify for the tax rebate, you’ll automatically qualify for a Stormwater Charge Subsidy. Single family homes will receive the subsidy on their Region of Peel water bill. Condominiums will receive a cheque mailed to them from the City of Mississauga.
How to apply for a tax rebate
Complete the tax rebate application form and submit it with applicable supporting documentation in any of the following ways:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail: Mississauga Taxes, 300 City Centre Drive, Mississauga, ON L5B 3C1
- Fax: 905-615-3972
- Drop box: Located outside the Civic Centre, to the right of the North Entrance on Princess Royal Drive, or in the drop box located at the Cashier’s Desk on the ground floor
Applications must be submitted on or before December 31 of the current tax year. You can submit your application at any point in the current year if all required documentation is available.
Applications for previous years will not be accepted as per By-law 0056-2010.
Ontario Senior Homeowners' Property Tax Grant
The Province of Ontario has a grant program to help eligible low income seniors with their property taxes. Find out more at Senior Homeowners’ Property Tax Grant program.
If you need more information about tax assistance programs for residents, please call 311 or 905-615-4311 if you are outside City limits. You can also email email@example.com.