You can buy a new one or two year pet licence or renew an existing licence online.
You can buy replacement tags for $5.25 at the Animal Services Shelter, or by phone at 905-896-5858, choosing option 4, Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
What happens next
- Your new pet licence tag will be mailed within five business days
- If you’re renewing a licence, it will be renewed in our system within one business day. No new tag will be mailed.
|Regular rate||1 year||2 year|
|Dog, spayed or neutered||$25||$40|
|Dog, not spayed or neutered||$50||$90|
|Cat, spayed or neutered||$20||$30|
|Cat, not spayed or neutered||$45||$80|
|Older adults’ rate (65 years and older)||1 year||2 year|
|Dog, spayed or neutered||$15||$20|
|Dog, not spayed or neutered||$25||$40|
|Cat, spayed or neutered||$10||$20|
|Cat, not spayed or neutered||$20||$40|
You will need to provide valid ID if you are 65 years of age or older.
Veterinarian information is required for spayed or neutered dogs or cats.
There is no licence fee for service dogs, however you must provide documentation when you apply for the licence.
We offer a fee assistance program to help citizens who can’t afford the license fee. Please contact Animal Services at 905-896-5858 for more information.
Other ways to license a pet
Call 905-896-5858, choose option 4 (Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.).
If you’re renewing an existing pet licence, don’t forget to bring the renewal form that you received with your pet licence renewal notice. If you can’t find your renewal notice, please call Animal Services.
Download the Pet Licence Application and mail it to the Animal Services Shelter with your cheque (no post-dated cheques).
Why you need a licence
If you own a pet dog or cat in Mississauga, it must be licensed as per the Animal Care and Control By-law. A pet licence is your pet’s identification and must be visible on your pet’s collar. It contains information about your pet that is vital to help Mississauga Animal Services return your pet if it goes missing.
As a pet owner, you are responsible for buying and renewing your pet licence every year.
Pet licence fees help Animal Services to:
- Care for and feed homeless pets
- Return lost pets to their homes
- Provide veterinary services to animals in our care
- Rescue sick, injured domestic animals and wildlife
- Provide 24/7 emergency animal rescue services
- Investigate animal care issues
- Keep neighbourhoods safe for people and pets
- Conduct community education programs
If your pet is not licensed, as an owner you may be fined an administrative penalty.