Coyotes are attracted to our communities by food and shelter. Find out what to do if you come across a coyote and how to protect yourself and your pets.
Protecting your pets from coyotes
- Keep a close eye on pets when you let them in your yard
- Go outside with your pet when they’re in the yard
- When walking your pet, keep them on a five-foot leash
If you encounter a coyote
- Stay calm and wait until it goes away
- Do not turn your back or run. Like dogs, coyotes chase anything that runs.
- If a coyote approaches, stand tall, waive your arms, clap, yell, make startling movements or throw an object at it to scare it away
- Startle the animal by opening an umbrella, using a flashlight or activating an audible alarm
If you see an aggressive, sick or injured coyote, call 905-896-5858.