The City has modified its Outdoor Maintenance Subsidy Program (formerly known as Yard Maintenance Subsidy Program) by increasing the subsidy amount, amending the services eligible and simplifying the application process for Mississauga's most vulnerable residents.
The following changes to the program:
- Increasing the yearly subsidy amount to $350, up from $200 (beginning 2019).
- Changing the definition of Outdoor Maintenance to garden work including the care of lawns, plants and trees in the yard of a residence and snow removal.
- Changing the subsidy period from April 1- March 31 to January 1 - December 31, aligning with the calendar year.
- Applications will be due annually by March 31st of the year following the subsidy year.
- Allowing an eligible spouse who lives in the household to apply for the program.
Please note for 2018, the subsidy period is April 1 - December 31, 2018 and is increased to $260.
The City's Outdoor Maintenance Subsidy Program provides eligible residents with a subsidy on a per-household, per-year basis to assist with the costs of outdoor maintenance. Outdoor Maintenance means garden work including the care of lawns, plants and trees in the yard of a residence and snow removal.
If you are a low-income senior (65 or older), or a low-income person with disabilities, you may be eligible to receive a financial subsidy of up to $350 for yearly outdoor maintenance costs.
To qualify for the Outdoor Maintenance Subsidy, an applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Be 65 years of age or older and in receipt of the Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) under Part II of the Old Age Security Act (Canada) and able to provide their T4A (OAS) slip to verify receipt of GIS for the subsidy claim period
- Be in receipt of benefits or income support as a person with a disability under the Ontario Disability Support Program Act, 1997 during the subsidy claim period
- have resided at the Subject Property as either Owner, Spouse of Owner or Tenant during the time that the claimed services were provided
- be claiming expenses for a property that is their primary residence (i.e. an applicant may only claim for one property)
- be able to provide Proof of Payment for services claimed during the subsidy period (the receipt template provided in the link below may be used to track eligible expenses)
AND must not
- be Able-bodied or have had any Able-bodied Persons residing at the property during the time the claimed services were provided
- be living in a Multi-Unit Residence where maintenance services are provided
An Outdoor Maintenance Subsidy will be issued only following an application process. Only one application per property per Subsidy Year may be submitted on or before March 31st of the year following the Subsidy Year.
For further information, please contact the Customer Service Centre at 3-1-1, or if calling outside the City limits call 905-615-4311, or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Outdoor Maintenance Subsidy Application.