Forestry Private Tree Bylaw
Urban Forestry FAQ

Frequently asked questions dealing with Urban Forestry in Mississauga.


Is the tree in front of my house on City property or private property?
Answer: City trees are usually located on the boulevard, which is the piece of grass between the sidewalk and the road. If there is no sidewalk, a tree inspection must be requested from the Forestry Unit at 3-1-1 (905-615-4311 outside city limits) to determine tree ownership.

Who do I contact if there is a problem with the tree in front of my house?
Answer: Tree service requests can be directed to the following number, 3-1-1 (905-615-4311 outside city limits). Q:Why did the Forestry crew working next door refused to work on the City tree in front of my house? A: A Forestry Inspector must investigate all requests before any work can take place to verify the ownership of the tree and to ensure that all issues regarding the tree are addressed and documented.

What maintenance am I allowed to perform on my City tree?
Answer: Regular watering in the summer is all that is required. All other maintenance required should be forwarded to the Urban Forestry Section at 3-1-1 (905-615-4311 outside city limits). OR Please refer to our Tree Care Information page.

My neighbour has a private tree that's causing problem for us, can the City do anything about it?
Answer: Unfortunately as a civil issue, the Urban Forestry Unit cannot get involved in regard to private tree issues. It is the responsibility of the owner and any problems with it should be discussed with them or referred to the City's By-law Department at 3-1-1 (905-615-4311 outside city limits).

What do the orange markings on trees mean?
Answer: An X orange mark on the trunk of a City tree means that it will be removed. An orange circle or dot means that maintenance work will be completed on the tree.

What does a green T on the curb mean?
Answer: This symbol signifies that a replacement tree will be planted on the City boulevard.

The tree in front of my house has a bees' nest in it, will the City remove it?
Answer: The Urban Forestry Unit is not responsible for removing bees' nests from trees. The Animal Services Section should be contacted instead at 3-1-1 (905-615-4311 outside city limits).

I trimmed my private tree, will the City come by and chip up my brush?
Answer: No. It is the sole responsibility of the owner to maintain and clean up after their private tree. However, the Region of Peel Garbage Collection Unit should be able to pick tree debris up as long as the limbs are cut up into small pieces and bundled up and placed along the curb. For more information on waste disposal, please visit their website at

When does stump removal take place?
Answer: Stump removals usually take place within 12 months. However, scheduling is based on weather conditions and volume of stumps to remove.

Is there a cost associated with having a tree planted or replaced?
Replacement trees or infills are planted at no cost to the residents. Home owners in new subdivisions, however, may find that there is a tree-related charge on the closing purchase of their new home. For further information, please refer to the Street Tree Planting Section page.

How should I care for my new tree?
Answer: Please refer to our Tree Care Information page.

When do I need to get a Tree Permit?
Answer: A tree permit is required where in a calendar year three (3) or more trees each with a diameter of greater than 15 cm (6 in) are to be injured or removed (destroyed) on a lot. For more information, please refer to the Private Tree By-law section.

Do I need to get a permit to trim my tree?
Answer: No. Please refer to the Private Tree By-law section for more information.

Browse / Find

Customer Service

Monday to Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. After hours dispatch service is available for urgent issues on weekends and overnight Monday to Friday. More about 311

Keep Me Posted

City news straight to your inbox.
Sign up today

Shaping our Vision

Plans & Reports

Current Construction Projects

Mississauga Transitway

A new high-efficiency east-west transit corridor in Mississauga.

Churchill Meadows Community Centre and Park

A state of the art community centre and park within the Ninth Line lands future development area.

Road Construction

Including reconstruction and maintenance for sidewalks, intersections, culverts bridges, barriers.

Transforming The City